The LGPS is a statutory scheme. It is governed by a set of regulations collectively known as the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations. These regulations outline your statutory responsibilities as an LGPS employer.
Your main responsibilities are summarised below:
- Determine the eligibility for Scheme membership of your employees, bringing eligible employees into the LGPS and dealing with optant outs.
- Notify the Pensions Service of new pensionable employees.
- Notify the Pensions Service of any material changes to pensionable employees, such as changes in hours and absence information.
- Process leavers, including retirements and deaths in service.
- Process ill health cases.
- Provide accurate contribution and membership data when requested, including at the end of year.
- Collect and pay over to the Cambridgeshire Pension Fund and Northamptonshire Pension Fund employer and employee pension contributions and AVCs to the appropriate party.
- Make appropriate employer decisions when required and fulfill the employer role within the internal dispute resolution process.
- Prepare, publish and periodically review your Employer Discretions Policy.
These responsibilities should be taken within prescribed timescales, which may originate from the LGPS Regulations; overriding legislation or from locally agreed targets.
The various areas of this website expand on the above responsibilities and indicate timescales where applicable.